Friday, July 18, 2008

Meet me at Ruby Tuesday

The night was dark, all I seem to see is people passing by and by. It's Friday night and my usual practise is to go to Ruby Tuesday and had my fill. After finishing all my work at office, i smoked my rusted old motorcycle and head for RT. I couldn't ride fast as wind blows hard, it was cold. Ruby Tuesday is about 1 hr drive for a normal vehicle, but for me I could make it barely in one and half hours.

I was much happier than other fridays because tonight is the night I'll meet the girl I love. You may not know why, but here's a story I would like to share with you first.

On a blistering cold night somewhere in December, as all people were busy preparing for the Christmas, I was on my way to Ruby Tuesday restaurant. I sat at the dark corner and enjoy my food. I stared at the road behind the fibre glass, all the glittering lights, christmas trees, children shopping with their parents. Everyone was happy and to that I gave a wide smile. All the people I could see from the place I sit were gay and glad, and I could here a choir singing "Away in a manger...." far away.

I pay my bills and went outside. Mount on my good old stallion and was putting on my helmet, I saw a girl. A girl sitting on the pavement, folding her arms, shivers in cold. She looked at the people going here and there and her eyes move left and right. I couldn't see a girl like that and went straight to her. She had a quizzical look on her face as I handed my coat to her. She didn't say a word and I left.

Couldn't take my mind off her, the look of her face kept rewinding like a film. How will she spend her Christmas? Where does she live? Many questions kept coming... pop pop pop.

Hours turns into days, days turns into weeks. And finally, it was Friday. Guess what I saw this time. The girl stand in front of Ruby Tuesday, smiling at me. I was shocked that my heart skip a beat. This time, I talk to her.

"Hi....Im Joe"
"Hi...nice to meet you and thanks for the coat" (she smiled)

I was so hungry and ask her to join me. She refused. She handed me a rose and just walk away.

The night after, questions came rushing! "Why didn't I ask her name?" or any contact number or her address anyway?? I blame myself for being such an idiot. I imagined her face smiling at me as i look at the rose. I like her, no doubt. From that day onwards, I wish everyday was Friday.

We use to see each other on every Fridays, but she won't talk about herself. I wish I could talk to her over the phone on other days, but she won't give me her number. All my curiousity to know her better were in vain. But at least, I could see her every friday. I gave her my number and ask her to call me whenever she needs me.

Time keeps passing and thing can't go on the way it was. The girl stop coming on fridays. I was so alone, i use to wait for her till the shop closed. Looking every corner of the street in search for her. She was nowhere to be seen. What had happened to her? She didn't call me even once, what is this suppose to mean?

Sometimes I see her smiling at me near Ruby Tuesday, but it was all my imagination. Life was quite complicated without her and I really feel somethings missing at RT.

Ok, there goes my story. So, tonight is Friday, but I'm happy. Because of the message that I got. I receive a message from an anonymous number. I pump the accelerator as fast as I could to reach to the restaurant faster. Where do all these traffic come from? I murmured as I slide step by step caught in the traffic jam.

After a long drive I finally reach the place. You may not believe what I saw with my eyes. There, stand the same girl who I talk about. She smiled and me. I rush to her and held her tight in my arms. Tears came falling. After a warm long hug, she says,

"Its been nice knowing you Joe, but I have to go. I'm moving over to somewhere and I'm going to miss you..."
"What?? What do you mean?"
"I... I need to go somewhere else"

"But, I didn't even know your name? And why do you have to leave??"
"Well... I was born like that..."


She gave me a kiss and her tears flows like a river. She walk and went inside the cab which was parked nearby. In a minute, they were gone. I look at the cab till it vanishes in the cold dark night. All my dreams were gone... I went inside the restaurant slowly. Sat by the dark corner and take out my phone. I scrolled down to my message inbox and read the message again.. "Meet me at Ruby Tuesday".

I couldn't help myself crying as I listen the jukebox crooning...

She would never say where she came from
Yesterday don't matter if it's gone

While the sun is bright

Or in the darkest night

No one knows
She comes and goes


Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?

When you change with every new day

Still I'm gonna miss you...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

well.... why is she born like that? so did he get back his jacket? is he gonna be alright? where is she going?

Lal Jo-a said...

@ sangi -

she was born like THAT, its a secret, no one knows.

he didn't get back his coat, not jacket. She kept it as a souvenir, think so! :D

he'll be alright... dont worry.

shes may be going to Portofino :)) :)) hehe..

and thanks for dropping comments.

Anonymous said...

hmmm...... coat jacket whatever...well its not fun without the reason why she is born like that...hmmph!

Lal Jo-a said...

Titau mi? :D well... the idea came up from the song "Ruby Tuesday" by Rolling Stones. It was composed by Keith Richards in early 1966 about a groupie he knew. The song's lyrics concern an apparently FREE-SPIRITED woman. So.. ngaihtuah chawp ve rawh. A girl who wants to live a life like that, who wants to hide her identity from anyone. even her loved ones or she don't want to love anybody. in case they fall in love, they move to somewhere else, far from the one they loved.

DayDreamBeliever said...

Yeah, I was gonna ask the same question.. but I guess I got my answer already. Hmmm... a fiction writer too, eh? Quite a repertoire! Kep it up. Love the song, btw.

Lal Jo-a said...

@daydreambeliever : i think if i leave something that will make the readers mind to think about will make the story interesting. So, i put it that way.... fiction writer?? haha...

Puia said...

Thil dang chu remchangah, chu ai chuan i hla dah ho (Music) ho hi a nalh hlawm khawp mai. Nang miril nge nge..:)

Lal Jo-a said...

haha... nalh i tih ve zawng te a ni elaw? ril lam pawh a ni lo, beng hi a inang lo a. :D

Almostunreal said...

interesting..but why? and didnt he note down the cab number? lol...love this song

Mizohican said...

He could have just stalked her :)

Ruby Tuesday is one of my fav haunts. Ever noticed how similar the ambience is to TGIFs? And both have names of the week too. But we asked the manager and he said Ruby Tuesday and TGIF are completely unrelated... Strange, if you may ask me...

luliana said...

Nice short story..but personally i dislike confusing endings..it should be something like - 'they married and lived happily ever after' or 'the hero kicked the shit out of the bad guy and saved the world from destruction' :D

Jerusha said...

Henu ang chi hi ka ngei zawng tak an ni, buaina awm lo tur pawh a buaina siam luih tlat duh chi :P Vai ho hian film/serial vel a an duh chi. father, hlim deuh hlek in a next chu han ziak tawh teh..:)

samuelapa said...

A ngaihnawm dawn chauh emaw tih laiin ho deuhin a tawp daih. 'Tense' hi a inchawhpawlh nasa mah2 a nih hi.

He thu ka chhiara ka rilrua lo awm chu - hmanah (a rei tawh) Thakthing Bazara Pu Vuana Tailoring dawr kawtah mi anglo/tawngtheilo pakhat hi nilengin a ding ziah thin a, mi kal vel a lo nuih vur2 thin. Kha pa hmel kha ka mitthlaah zu lang daih a.
:)

Lal Jo-a said...

@ almost_unreal : a ziah theihnghilh a... haha

@ illusionaire : a lo nih chu a.

@ luliana : next ah chuan chuti chuan tawp tawh ang! :D

@ jerusha : hahaha, vai film style deuh aniang hei hi.

@ samuelapa : ni phelh phulh ang, ziak ve pur pur a, en nawn leh ngai loh bakah ziak thiam lo thei ltk a.

Jerusha said...

father - i email addy min lo dekho thei em o? mamoh loks